Sunday, April 22, 2007

CHRONIC STRESS: Can It Cause Depression?

Mayo Clinic psychiatrist Daniel Hall-Flavin, M.D., and colleagues answer.
Answer:
The cause of depression is not entirely clear. However, genetic and environmental factors play a role. Some people may be more vulnerable to stress because of their personality characteristics or temperament. Persistent or chronic stress has the potential to put vulnerable individuals at a substantially increased risk of depression, anxiety and many other emotional difficulties. Scientists have noted that changes in brain function — in the areas of the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland — may play a key role in stress-induced emotional problems.

Maintaining good mental health requires getting enough sleep, eating sensibly, exercising appropriately, avoiding the harmful use of substances such as alcohol and effectively managing stress. If you have persistent stress, consult a doctor or therapist to discuss effective ways to minimize stress and its negative impact on your physical and emotional health.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suffer from bi-polar disorder with terrible dips into depression.
I find that if I am depressed and then get stress ON TOP, this can push me into mild psychosis, which is my case takes the form of hearing things. I don't mean "voices", I mean hearing someone else in the house, footsteps, whistling, gigling.
Before my diagnosis it was absolutely terrifying- and I didn't get a diagnosis for 25 years!
I was usually convinced that where I lived was haunted.
Now I take a mild anti-psychotic for a few days when it happens, and then it goes away.

Anyway, just wanted to add to your post on stress & depression....

GREAT blog. Found you via Authorblog awards.

My blog is on there too....but nothing to do with depression etc. I didn't think I could regularly blog on that. So mine's an escape from it all instead!

Helena

head above water said...

helena...this is one of David's goals with these awards, to bring people together. I have met so many people thru the Aussiejourno awards.

I was diagnosed BP in 1995. Always knew something was up, and after too many hospitaliztions, meds, ECT's was diagnosed. Long story short - back on my feet, working and doing very well. I will always have BP, but I am proof it is treatable.

I'll be taking a peek at your wee site tonight. Thanks for visiting today.